Designate Before You Celebrate
If you’re going out and there is even a possibility that you may drink alcohol, you need to plan for a safe ride home. With just a few drinks you could be too impaired to safely drive. If you choose a friend to be a designated driver before you’ve had too much to drink, you can have a good time and get home safely.
Choosing a designated driver could be one of the most important decisions you make.
In 2015 in Virginia:
- 241 people died because of alcohol-related crashes or 32% of all traffic fatalities.
- 4,917 people were injured in alcohol-related crashes or 7.6% of all traffic injuries.
- 7,591 alcohol-related crashes represented 6% of all crashes.
- 228 alcohol-related fatal crashes represented 32.1% of all fatal crashes.
- 3,356 alcohol-related personal injury crashes represented 7.8% of all injury crashes
- 4,007 alcohol-related property damage crashes or 4.9% of all property damage crashes.