Who's Your Driver?
A designated friend. A ride-sharing service. The trusty, dependable taxi. A public bus, or train, or tram, or ferry. Even a cycle rickshaw. Any of these would be better than getting behind the wheel after a night of drinking.
In 2015, nearly 5,000 people were injured and close to 250 died in alcohol-related traffic crashes in Virginia alone. 100% of which were preventable. So, before you plan to drink, plan to answer this: Who’s your driver?
- In 2015, 32% of all fatal traffic crashes in Virginia were traffic-related.
- Nearly 21,000 people were convicted of a DUI in Virginia in 2015.
- Every 2 minutes a person is injured in an alcohol-related incident.
- On average, nearly 30 people die each day as a result of alcohol-related crashes.
- Even a BAC as low as .03 percent can impair your ability to drive.
- Among drivers in fatal crashes, men are almost twice as likely as women to have been intoxicated.
Seat Belts Save Lives
- In 2015, seat belts saved nearly 14,000 lives in the U.S. alone.
- Seat belts have saved an estimated 345,000 lives since 1975.
- An unrestrained person is 4 times more likely to die if they are ejected from a vehicle in a crash.
- If you’re sitting in the back seat, a seat belt can reduce the risk of death by 60%.
- More fatal crashes with unrestrained victims occur in rural areas over urban ones.
- More unrestrained victims are killed in pickup trucks than any other vehicle.
The Cost Of Drunk Driving
In Virginia, the fine for a first DUI conviction is around $2,500 and may also include:
- Up to a year in jail.
- A mandatory ignition interlock device that requires the driver to blow into a breathalyzer to start the engine.
- A one-year suspension of all driving privileges.
Know The Law
In Virginia, you are legally considered Driving/Operating Under The Influence (DUI) if you operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 percent or higher. Even if your BAC is lower than .08, you may still be considered Under The Influence if your ability to operate a motor vehicle is impaired.
Be a part of the action when the rubber meets the road in April.
Four chances. Two nights of racing. Thousands of race fans. Tons of perks. And bragging rights for life!
Follow the fun on Facebook and Twitter each week and you could score big perks at the spring races at Martinsville Speedway or Richmond International Raceway.
Here are the FOUR WAYS you can take your race experience up a notch!