Who’s Your Driver?
A designated friend. A ride-sharing service. The trusty, dependable taxi. A public bus, or train, or tram, or ferry. Even a cycle rickshaw. Any of these would be better than getting behind the wheel after a night of drinking.
In 2015, nearly 5,000 people were injured and close to 250 died in alcohol-related traffic incidents in Virginia. 100% of which were preventable. So, before you plan to drink, plan to answer this: Who’s your driver?
- In 2015, 32% of all fatal traffic crashes in Virginia were traffic-related.
- Nearly 21,000 people were convicted of a DUI in Virginia in 2015.
- Every 2 minutes a person is injured in an alcohol-related incident.
- On average, nearly 30 people die each day as a result of alcohol-related crashes.
- Even a BAC as low as .03 percent can impair your ability to drive.
- Among drivers in fatal crashes, men are almost twice as likely as women to have been intoxicated.
Seat Belts Save Lives
- In 2015, seat belts saved nearly 14,000 lives in the U.S. alone.
- Seat belts have saved an estimated 345,000 lives since 1975.
- An unrestrained person is 4 times more likely to die if they are ejected from a vehicle in a crash.
- If you’re sitting in the back seat, a seat belt can reduce the risk of death by 60%.
- More fatal crashes with unrestrained victims occur in rural areas over urban ones.
- More unrestrained victims are killed in pickup trucks than any other vehicle.
The Cost Of Drunk Driving
In Virginia, the fine for a first DUI conviction is around $2,500 and may also include:
- Up to a year in jail.
- A mandatory ignition interlock device that requires the driver to blow into a breathalyzer to start the engine.
- A one-year suspension of all driving privileges.
Know The Law
In Virginia, you are legally considered Driving/Operating Under The Influence (DUI) if you operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 percent or higher. Even if your BAC is lower than .08, you may still be considered Under The Influence if your ability to operate a motor vehicle is impaired.